Feedrates?

General JointCAM questions and discussion
lambodesigns

Feedrates?

Post by lambodesigns »

Still in learning mode for all things cnc and wondering what folks are using for the dovetails and if the box joints are the same? any difference for baltic birch vs solid wood? I've got some new bits just waiting to make some cuts while the wife and kid are out of town next week.

G-Force_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feedrates?

Post by G-Force_Admin »

I think it has to do a lot with the rigidity of the machine, and the depth of cut.
Because the toolpaths contain mostly short moves, with a lot of directions changes, going fast can cause the machine to shake, if it's not rigid enough.
I usually program between 75 and 100 ipm, (13,000 rpm) and then dial it back with the FRO if needed. Some machines are probably capable of much higher speeds.

I haven't cut any plywood, but I've found that cherry, walnut and mahogany cut like butter with an upcut spiral.
Maple and birch are a bit harder.
As for dovetail bits, I have some older Eagle America bits that seem to work a little better than some new Amana bits I bought.
Gerry

lambodesigns

Re: Feedrates?

Post by lambodesigns »

Thanks. My machine is certainly not the most rigid one out there. I've done about as much as I can to help it out... and it is night and day from where it started... but still not where I want it to be. First cnc so I've learned enough to be dangerous on my next build :twisted: